Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)

Go down 
+7
Athreon
Dragus
SilverLich
nope1
Emrys
gaiachild
nope
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
nope

Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) Empty
PostSubject: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 10:38 am

Hey, I figured that since we are going to have a couple of different RPs going I would make this first. Half the fun of the other RP was talking with everyone else (to be honest only seldom on topic of the RP) and really just enjoying the friendships that came from it. At least I know I did!

So Here Is a place for general talking about RPs and everything else. Think of this like the break where you can just come and talk with everyone. Also this will make a great place for people who want to introduce themselves to the rest of the gang.

Let me know if i missed anything.
Back to top Go down
gaiachild

gaiachild

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 11:06 am

Right then. First of all happy to be here, the site looks great, and yay for all who journeyed here as well.

So, I think I’ll monologue about the World of Darkness RP now.
Unfortunately, for the next three month or so, due to end of the semester and other real life stuff, I will not be able to GM anything, as in, have events in game happen and be constantly there for anyone. As in, not able to respond without a huge time differences.

I would, however, be more than willing to do extensive amounts of world building. Such as, write backgrounds to the World of Darkness that don’t take away too much of the mystery, but show a person as what he/she could play as. As well as suggest a number of story ideas and then flesh out the one that is chosen, again writing the whole background and setting of the situation. Write profiles for NPCs, antagonists, allies and the like. Thing that I can take one hour of the day for at a time of my own choosing that doesn’t demand immediate responses.

My idea is, since not everyone here is all that familiar with World of darkness, the first campaign might not even need that big of a GM, since it would be aimed at introducing characters into the world and letting them explore it as a comparably “relaxed” state, instead of having some overly convoluted plot right of the bat (no pun intended, and there are enough of those o be had in the WoD).

Also, the following site has some great interactive character sheets for WoD. Admittedly, while there are over a hundred of them, they are like three types with different headlines. And for the start, one or three pages are plenty sufficient.
(I would post it as a link, but apparently I am not allowed to do so until seven days)
Edit:
Okay, sorry about that, won't even work with usage of the spacebar. I'll just email it to Dragus later...
Back to top Go down
nope

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 11:27 am

If That's the case Gaia if we need a GM Dragus would be the next best bet for VtM, followed by me. But that is IF we really do need one like you said. I for one think we do, Vtm is a dark and gritty game and we would need someone on the outside looking in to keep most of us on our toes if ya catch my drift.
Back to top Go down
Emrys

Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 2:10 pm

This site looks great, Dragus! Also, I had no idea that there was this much interest in hosting a FE, WoD, and VtM...
Back to top Go down
nope1

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 3:32 pm

Alright ladies and gents of this new RP forum! I am here the party can start!

First off though....explain to me what both RPs are ....I know what fire emblem is but I have very little to no knowledge on most of the lore...I only played the GBA game and even then I never got to finish it.

The Vampire rp im even worse off XD I have no idea what it is! But that does not mean I am not up for it!
Back to top Go down
SilverLich

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 3:48 pm

@Zector

The Fire Emblem one takes place in the latest one that came out. Athreon has the plot and everything else needed, lore wise I can probably help you with that.

As for the Vampire one, you're going to have to ask Gaia, I only know a little, and what little I do know comes from the Masquerade video game.
Back to top Go down
Dragus
Admin
Dragus

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi all. And a nice idea posting here, Nivek. Given our small and close-knit group of friends at the moment, using the defined sections for welcomes and such would simply be convoluted and needlessly tedious. By chatting in this one thread for now, we can simultaneously discuss how we want to set up our hangout site as well as plan/brainstorm for our RPs.

Also, thanks for mentioning that link issue Gaia. I wasn't aware these phb3 forums required a seven-day-wait to post links by default. I'll head back into the administration panel immediately and see if I can switch that off for everyone.

Regarding your schedule Gaia: That's quite understandable. I'm delighted at both the prospect of playing a game run by Nivek, or alternatively running one myself if he strongly prefers to be a player at the moment. (I certainly know that feeling. Coming into this summer and out of a semester running a few games, I've certainly been in a "player" mood myself as of late.)

Zector: Though I share your newness to Fire Emblem, I'm moderately confident that Athreon will be able to explain his plot and his setting in his thread when the time comes quite well. Fire Emblem at first glance seems to be a medieval world with powerful combatants. I'm confident that picking up on the plot Athreon chooses to implement shouldn't be too difficult.

Regarding Vampire: The Masquerade (or "World of Darkness" if you like to expand heavily beyond the vampires) it's essentially a dark (very dark and harsh) setting that takes place in a dystopian present day. (At least by default. Some games have different starting points that are earlier due to immortality, character/power growth, and all.)

VtM is submerged in a vast (And I mean very vast; I have over 20 game/clan/story pdf books alone) amount of depth, lore, and stories. The way vampires work in that setting have similarities with the pop culture we're used to, but also some differences. (In cool ways though; Not at all like a certain book we know of. In fact, the recent 20th anniversary VtM book heavily makes fun of Twilight.)

These differences and this vast amount of lore make it a very fun game for players who have never heard of it before and find themselves (or the relatively normal character they create at the start) thrown into this dark and complex world. The whole "learning how things work and who is who" aspect of the game is a ton of fun in the hands of the right storyteller.

In short, you should have no trouble getting into either game. I can pretty much all but promise that for Athreon's, and I can definitely promise that for VtM.
Back to top Go down
https://rpboard.forumotion.com
nope1

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 4:43 pm

Sweet, I am happy in regards to both rps. If you could help a little though dragus and point me in a direction to get ahold of this lore for VtM, something for me to chew through and get a good grip on what it will be like and what kind of characters will be available to me when we get down to it. When i think Vampirism my mind is ablaze with Warhammer lore, twilight (I know travesty dont worry I wont draw from it), your classical Dracula, and whatever else comes on tv these days.

@Athreon

OK MAN YOU ARE THE FIRE EMBLEM KING! Give me the run down on what I should know...As you can probably tell from my Profile pic I was partial to the Sacae and their nomads. Lyn was a bamf and so was Rath!
Back to top Go down
Dragus
Admin
Dragus

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 6:13 pm

The setting regarding a 7-day waiting period for links has been fixed. You can now freely post content from the moment of registration!

And sure thing, Zector. I'll go locate and provide you with links to some useful PDFs shortly. Something to keep in mind, essentially:  The "20th Anniversary" book has all of the updated/typo free stuff and is the best for looking at regarding gameplay rules and powers. However, the original Vampire: The Masquerade Core Rulebook has a much better introduction and brief overview of the lore. Its individual sections describing the clans are also better in my opinion.

In short, the old Core Rulebook is good to look at for the 17 page introduction, the lore, and the clan descriptions. The 20th Anniversary (new) Book is good to look at for powers, solid information, and mechanics. (Of course our forum roleplay would be more story-based, so the old book will prove more useful. But I'll still include both, and when I get around to setting up the pseudo-stats and rules for the forum RP, the new book will likely come in handy for referencing.)

Stand by, and I'll link you both.

Edit: Here you are.

Read the first 17 pages of this. The intro here is a great read, and this is also a good book to use if you want to read about the individual clans. (Find them in the table of contents after the 17 page intro.)

Aside from the intro and the better clan descriptions (only my opinion) the new and updated 20th anniversary book is much better in every way. Once you finish the 17-page intro on the link above and perhaps looking through some of the clans, I would recommended permanently moving on to this.

After downloading that PDF, you'll have everything you need. If you want more lore, there are tons of lorebooks for each clan and special settings. I can find and share those as well, although it may be more fun to go into the RP with minimal knowledge.

I'm thinking the way I'll have it set up (if I end up doing it) is I'll have my own set of simple and forum-friendly rules and a simple stat system for my thread, and it'll be set up in a way where you don't even have to read the books in order to play. I'd be introducing the supernatural abilities and rules piece by piece, while emphasizing a focus on story and immersion for the players.

But it's still understandable you'd want to see the original tabletop game for yourself. It's really a gem in my opinion. Happy reading!

Last edited by Dragus on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:37 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
nope

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 6:23 pm

Dragus: Think you can send me those as well? I only have one book and it's not here right now.
Back to top Go down
Athreon

Athreon

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 6:32 pm

@ Zector

Alas, that I am unaware as to who they are. I am afraid the only two games I have played are Shadow Dragon and Awakening. This RP will be based off of Awakening, so I do know everything I need to, I think. I can send you the same information I sent the others, but I will warn you that it refers to some of the plot of Awakening, though I do not think knowledge of such is necessary to grasp the concept.
Back to top Go down
Dragus
Admin
Dragus

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 6:35 pm

Both of the links (a read-only link to the old book and the 17-page intro I like people to hit first and then a link to the fully updated 20th anniversary book) are posted in the previous post above for anyone who wants them.

But don't fret; The way I plan to set up the game (if I run it) is in a way that requires no reading beforehand if players enjoy total immersion and surprises and would introduce in small pieces at a time the simple stat system I would create.
Back to top Go down
nope1

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 7:29 pm

@Athreon

It is unfortunate that I do not own neither a 3ds or any other Fire Emblem game aside from Burning Blade. I have no knowledge of Awakening or its back story. Or how we will rp around the story already created by said game XD

If you could just give me what I need to know and that would be great. Also what classes will be available considering that some fire emblem games have classes that are not present in others.
Back to top Go down
SilverLich

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 7:43 pm

He has a list of what will be available to us. And if you need any help lore/story wise, we will help you.
Back to top Go down
Emrys

Emrys

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 12:27 am

Where might said list be located?
Back to top Go down
nope

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 12:31 am

@Dragus

Hey dude, we need to talk about the vampire stuff so please PM me, Or better yet hit me up on skype if you can.
Back to top Go down
Dragus
Admin
Dragus

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 12:54 am

Sure, I'd be happy to talk about your ideas. (Especially if you want to be the one who runs the game. Please feel free, I'd love to be a player.) I added you on Skype as requested.
Back to top Go down
SilverLich

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 7:04 am

@Emrys

He can PM them to you if you're interested.
Back to top Go down
Athreon

Athreon

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 12:24 pm

As far as starting the RP goes, I still have a few things to work out, namely typing up the rest of the info. I also need to know who my tactician is going to be. The Lord and Tactician are more or less the main characters of the plot, and the Tactician will act as a back-up GM for me. I would prefer whoever offers to be the Tactician would be somewhat knowledgeable in FE Lore, and needs to have played Awakening all the way through.

Edit: Btw, sent you guys the class sheets.
Back to top Go down
Dragus
Admin
Dragus

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 3:32 pm

Hi all. A little tidbit of information.

That Mephiles thing you might sometimes see at the top of the page is built into the skin. The banner simply sticks over it. Luckily, this skin is temporary until we all decide what kind of new one we want. Choosing a new one and setting it up is easy and only takes moments; The only issue is that on a free forum like this, we can only have one skin at a time.

I could easily choose from the other hundreds of searchable skins, or if you wanted a less fancy-looking one, simple gray and tan ones are also available. Feel free to discuss this, and I'm happy to switch to something that we all want.
Back to top Go down
Athreon

Athreon

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 3:56 pm

Maybe we could do a banner with a pic from both Fire Emblem Awakening and the Vampire thing you guys are doing? (Don't remember the title, sorry)
Back to top Go down
Dragus
Admin
Dragus

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 4:08 pm

Normally I would love such an idea. (It reminds me of my first forum were every user's unqiue avatar/persona was on the banner.) However, at this time I know there are eventually going to be at least three additional RPs beyond our first two. Unless any parties would feel under-represented by a banner with only two of the RPs on it, I'm still completely fine with the idea though. It's a cool suggestion.

As for a skin, if everyone could state what type of color they prefer (or please state if you don't mind either way) that would be most helpful! I would be down with any color in all honesty, though I do have a preference for a gray one, a dark one like we have now, or perhaps a tan one. One of those three routes would probably receive my vote, at least.
Back to top Go down
Athreon

Athreon

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 4:43 pm

I think it would be cool to have the first two RPs on the banner, kind of like founders, but it's up to you guys.

And I think grey would be good.
Back to top Go down
nope1

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 5:04 pm

Grey is fine, I think the black is too....dark in a bad way. But I also like the Fire emblem/Vampire idea XD maybe split between the two lol. Until we add more rps that is!
Back to top Go down
nope

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 5:14 pm

I like the idea of Grey, and the banner Idea. When we have other RPs here we can revisit the issue OR just keep it up as that for the two founding RPs.

Or maybe we can have a thing where the two best RPs of a quarter year get a banner? Well we will look at that later
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)   Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.) Empty

Back to top Go down

Global OOC Thread (For general chatting regarding any topic.)
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next