Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dresden Files RP OOC

Go down 
+2
Penacoladis
Victor A Yorke
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Victor A Yorke

Victor A Yorke

Dresden Files RP OOC Empty
PostSubject: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 4:46 am

Following a few sessions of brainstorming, some gentle questioning of the quality of the rulebooks, and more than a little pizza, a couple friends of mine have decided to band together and begin an RP set in Jim Butcher's Dresden Files universe.

This RP is open to all comers, and we're currently taking submissions. The rules can be downloaded from here. Character creation isn't the best explained thing in the book, so if you have any questions please shout out and I'll talk you through it. When I'm free I'll do a follow-up post or two providing a char sheet and explaining the core rules.

You'll notice the whole RP is most definitely a work in progress - we still need to decide how to handle rolls/invokes, for one thing.

If you're interested at all, please give a shout and we'll be happy to welcome you aboard...

Last edited by Victor A Yorke on Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:51 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Victor A Yorke

Victor A Yorke

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 4:46 am

---Gameplay mechanics and blank character sheet---

NB - Here lies possible spoilers for the Dresden novels. If you haven't read as far as Small Favor or so, and are good at adding facts together, you might find some facts here you weren't supposed to know yet...

Fate, Aspects, Stunts/Powers and Refresh:

Blank Template:

Last edited by Victor A Yorke on Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:28 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Victor A Yorke

Victor A Yorke

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 4:48 am

---Setting and Themes---

The city in which this RP will pan out is Newcastle Upon Tyne, or a reasonable fictional variation thereof. When developing your character, it may make your first posts easier if you find a reason to put him or her in the general area. If you need ideas, there's two universities (Newcastle and Northumbria), an airport, a big car plant and quite a few tourist traps in the city. Google it and have a look around.

--

Themes are, within the RP mechanics, a set of recurring concepts that help tie the arcs together. They also change, depending on what good the party can do for the city or what catastrophes pile up on its doorstep.

For the purposes of starting off, just below are a few themes we've cooked up. If you have any cool ideas though, please shout out!

Themes:

Last edited by Victor A Yorke on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:31 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Victor A Yorke

Victor A Yorke

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 11:26 am

---Player characters---

Victor A Yorke - Kat Pembrough:

Scarecrow - Catherine:

Windrider37 - Aurana Sarius:

Scrooge - Kairo Smithfield:

Pinacoladis - Ki'Tonya Penvellyn:

---Faces---

Faces are the individuals who sum up a locale, theme or plot - high enough up their respective food chains to influence events around them, but still accessible to the characters (sooner or later). This section is currently pretty empty (since the party hasn't met anyone important yet), but will be filled in as the party discovers facts about the Faces around town -

Faces:

Last edited by Victor A Yorke on Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:28 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Victor A Yorke

Victor A Yorke

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 6:25 pm

An update for you all - Just waiting on the last character profile, and we can start this RP once and for all.

btw, anyone can post here. Introduce yourself, start an egregiously off-topic discussion, whatever - it's part of what this thread is for.
Back to top Go down
Penacoladis

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 8:57 pm

Here's the final(?) edited profile:

Name: Ki'Tonya Penvellyn
Class: Cursed Ghost

QUICK REFERENCE:

High Concept: Haunted Marionette Princess
Trouble: I lost my life, and got back a wooden one
Phase 1. Mother witch's little lab rat
Phase 2. The puppet is haunted!

Skills: (20 points)
Superb - Stealth
--
Great - Deceit
--
Good -  Contacts
--
Fair - Weapons
Fair - Investigation
--
Average - Athletics
Average - Lore

Powers:

Marionette-
Item of Power w/ Self Repair - 0
Human Guise - 0

Ghost-
Spirit Form - -3
Channeling (ice evocation) - -2

Template Refresh - 6
Total Refresh Cost - 5
Character Refresh - 1

Stunts:
N/A

IN DEPTH:

Trouble:
I lost my life, and got back a wooden one-
Ki'Tonya's beauty was the product of a blessing done by her father before his passing the day before her birth. However, her gift was her mother's source of outrage and jealousy. It was because of this was Ki'Tonya had be struck down by her own mother, and forced to use a marionette version of herself in lieu of her original.

Phase 1.
Once the ethereal daughter of a very powerful Witch Queen, Ki'Tonya was loved by all those in her mother's kingdom...except for her mother. Jealous of the beauty her child bore, she tried many experiments on Ki'Tonya to remove her essence of beauty to she could use it on herself, creating a serum for eternal beauty. Fortunately for the child, this had failed countless times, and the Witch Queen slowly came to a decision...if she could not have her daughter's beauty, neither could she. The Witch concocted a special poison curse and poured it into Ki'Tonya's drink during her coronation.

Phase 2.
To add insult to injury, Ki'Tonya was forced to use a marionette look-alike for eternity, only ever able to leave her new body for 3 days, less she'd become too weak to maintain her aspect and disappear for good. Ki'Tonya had been cursed to spend the rest of eternity with the fact that she is now wood and string...

In Town For:
After being shunned from her own kingdom, Ki'Tonya stumbled across Newcastle. Seeing this as a possible fresh start in a new location, she has hopes that she could continue to live life as an adventure, despite her unfortunate situation.

Last edited by Penacoladis on Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Victor A Yorke

Victor A Yorke

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 12:56 pm

Hi Juli!

Checking the rules and stats, I'm actually thinking that Ki'Tonya would count as a Ghost/Spectre hybrid - she can move around at will, isn't bound to a particular place and time of day, her afterlife started with a little necromantic trickery, and (supposedly) she can notice living beings that don't intentionally employ magic to attract her.

For that matter, you may be cheating yourself out of some stunts and spare refresh:
--if by 'blend in' you mean pass herself off as a human, that looks like a (-0) Power rather than a (-2) Stunt (for one thing, it's a supernatural ability rather than a learned trick of the trade).
--If Ki'Tonya can regenerate her body, supposedly that means she can take Inhuman Recovery (-2), meaning she can repair herself when out of combat, and in certain cases never gets tired. If she can only regenerate when she's near/in her puppet, then that's probably a Catch (+1), meaning the ability only costs 1 Refresh.
--Putting those together, you may have 2 Refresh on your character rather than one, and a neat out-of-combat defence power too.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Penacoladis

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 3:51 pm

Hi Orr!

I can actually agree with you there, it would make more sense to say she's a Spectre hybrid than just "cursed ghost".

Also, I do really like those new changes, that sounds better than what I put, actually. ;3; But yes, by "blend in" I did mean pass herself off as human (enough), at least for a limited amount of time, so I guess that would be the "Human Guise"?

I think we should go with that one. Thank you for cleaning it up for me. ^ ^
Back to top Go down
FroshiAnaki

FroshiAnaki

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 4:47 pm

Hello Juli

Sorry to mess with your setup again, but I’m assuming you meant possession of the puppet as the ability yes? May I suggest the bellow setup, partially so you can save the refresh points as you can miss out possession via an IoP, and also because possession has a prerequisite of spirit form or gaseous form the prior of which makes perfect sense with your character in my opinion~

Puppet:
Item of power - +2 Indestructible or self-repairing
Minor veil (appears human) -2 = only active on puppet while inhabited +1
Other stunts/powers of your choice with min cost of -2

True:
Spirit form -3 = catch bound to puppet +1
Other stunts/powers up to -2

Changing between forms would be treated essentially the same as a werebeast transformation. Possibly take Marked by Power -1 depending on whether the poison that caused you to go into this state is something depending on an outside high power (Demon, Court, Spirit etc), if you do pick an entity by whose power the individual is marked, the character themselves does not have to know it, and you can leave it blank if you choose but it may be beneficial to know for later on in the story~

Coincidentally Hi all,
Vic insisted I introduce myself so:
Hello I'm the GM along with Vic/Orr , albeit currently he's been doing most of the work ^^;, apologies for all the delays, getting people organised and the addition of work and exams makes things rather slow. Anywhoo I look forward to the wonderful mess of writing styles that is going to bring out your story my friends~

Froshi~
Back to top Go down
Penacoladis

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 5:49 pm

Hi Froshi! ^ ^

Hmmm...you know, I think you may be onto something. o.o But yes, possession of the puppet could be seen as an ability. Although...for the minor veil, would it still be viable even if the puppet doesn't look 100% human? Like...it would look like a human but with the visible jointed limbs and such (although this might just be nitpicky, as the joints could very possibly be hidden with simply clothing ^^; ) And if so, then I believe the minor veil would be -1, given the fact that this would be active while Ki'Tonya is in the puppet only.

Also, in her True form, would it be possible to keep Inhuman Toughness, or would it just be obvious that you can't necessarily attack a ghost with melee and some magical attacks?

And as for Marked by Power...since Ki'Tonya's death was caused by a Grand Witch, what would that imply?

--

And...well, hello again! ^^; Very nice to meet you, looking forward to begin. Smile
Back to top Go down
Victor A Yorke

Victor A Yorke

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 7:23 pm

Yes, we're taking it in turns for now =D

The Inhuman Toughness, we can do it if it doesn't push you down to 0 Refresh. (at 0 Refresh or lower the character's powers overtake their capacity for free will, they become a monster (technically), and they turn into an NPC).

I'm not entirely sure if it's a veil (being the high-concentration, skill-intensive magic that comes naturally to faeries) we're talking about here, btu I'll check with Froshi first and make sure we know what means what...

In the meantime, I'd better start thinking about that in-character thread and opening post!
Back to top Go down
Victor A Yorke

Victor A Yorke

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 1:37 pm

Alright, we have something of an agreement on how your character should pan out (we weren't really expecting this kind of character design - can you tell? ^^" ):

Human Guise is the best option for letting Ki'Tonya blend in, but it only works when she's in the puppet and conscious. Otherwise, it's immediately identifiable as a human-sized marionette even to vanilla mortals.

Marked by Power doesn't apply here - it refers to being able to call on the active patronage by a supernatural heavyweight (such as a Faerie Queen) rather than simply being a symptom of being whammied by something really powerful. So if Ki'Tonya was an official emissary for her mother she could claim that slot, but as she is she doesn't need it.

There's two ways of doing the puppet and spirit forms:
1. She's a Spectre and generates a body of ectoplasm whenever she leaves the marionette. This means she has a resilient and fast-healing physical form and can interact with the world, but in return she's vulnerable to physical attacks as well as ghost-hurting things and can't phase through solid objects. She is slightly more resistant to the grounding effects of sunrise, and may also glow faintly with ethereal light.

2. She's a Ghost and has no corporeal form other than the marionette to which she's tied. She can phase through things, ignore physical threats and so on, but she can't interact with the mortal world and would need a magical practitioner (such as Scarecrow's Catherine) to pass on messages for her. Also, a single sunrise would be lethal to her if she wasn't in her marionette, and can seriously damage her even while underground.

Which of these is more in keeping with what you want her to be?
Back to top Go down
Penacoladis

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 2:39 pm

(Heheh, I kinda had that feeling, sorry! XD)

But okay, so Human Guise it is then o.o

Ah, alright then. I don't really think that would apply to Ki'Tonya, given her situation, so no go on the Marked by Power.

And um...I kinda think #2 best fits with that I have in my mind on what Ki'Tonya would be, so I'ma go with 2. o.o
Back to top Go down
FroshiAnaki

FroshiAnaki

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 10:05 am

Okays then so then the basic build is :
Puppet- as Item of power with human guise while inhabited, also gradual self repair. cost:0
Spiritual form -3

Apart from that you have 3 refresh left and you may choose to spend up to 2 of it on other abilities ^^. Once you're happy with what you've decided if you could edit your original post to reflect the new abilities it'd be great, thank you~
Back to top Go down
Victor A Yorke

Victor A Yorke

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 6:02 pm

Our last player (for now maybe), Scrooge, has sent in his profile, and it's been slotted into in the fourth post up there...
Back to top Go down
Victor A Yorke

Victor A Yorke

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 5:40 pm

Very sorry all, but due to a job interview, etc, i'm going to be unable to post until sometime on friday at least. Froshi has the helm until then.
Back to top Go down
Penacoladis

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 4:32 pm

Alrighty, I have just edited the original post of the profile with the new powers. Everything looks in order to me, if the same goes to you, feel free to post it up. ^ ^

(Oh, and good luck on the interview! (or if it already happened, hope you get the job, Victor! ^ ^)
Back to top Go down
Victor A Yorke

Victor A Yorke

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 6:07 am

Alright, that's done.

and ladies and gentlemen... we're now up and running!

We're starting with a little downtime, just a few posts' worth to put our characters in the same room and ready. I'll provide the opening post now, and after that anyone can go.
Back to top Go down
Victor A Yorke

Victor A Yorke

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 3:58 pm

For what Wind is planning...

Skill = Good (3)
Difficulty = Fair (2)

Roll 4U1 = -1
Effort = Fair (3-1)
Effect = Mediocre (0)

So basically, your character has just barely scraped a success...

@Everyone else
If you want to see if you can get in on this particular action, it would involve rolling Perception - say the word and we shall oblige.
Back to top Go down
Sielrok(windrider37)

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 7:57 pm

Boop. hello there. Sorry for being absent. I made my first Post and am glad to be here ^.^
Back to top Go down
The Great Scarecrow King

The Great Scarecrow King

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 7:58 pm

Dresden Files RP OOC D9a6f3720ef63c09db278d5e5eb5acbfbf514a5d_full

>Mfw I realized I cannot register because firefox didnt display the captcha

What kind of pub is this?
Back to top Go down
Victor A Yorke

Victor A Yorke

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 8:22 pm

@Scarecrow
Welcome!

It's a moderately upmarket one. Well lit, nice furnishings, wide selection of fashionably obscure local ales on display. Slightly on the small side. There's a function room upstairs, but it's booked out with tough security just now.
Back to top Go down
The Great Scarecrow King

The Great Scarecrow King

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 9:06 pm

Cant really see how mine can fit in, honestly.
Back to top Go down
Scrooge

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyMon Aug 31, 2015 2:06 pm

Hey folks, sorry for the late arrival, just been a lazy butt as of late
Back to top Go down
Victor A Yorke

Victor A Yorke

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 7:04 pm

Welcome aboard, Scrooge!

Okay everyone, sometime on Wednesday I'll move the plot ahead a little...

EDIT - Oh yes, I should probably say, Kat passed an alertness check to see Kairo, but failed to see either Aurana or Catherine. I spent a Fate Point to get her to notice that guy in the corner, but we'll get round to him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dresden Files RP OOC   Dresden Files RP OOC Empty

Back to top Go down

Dresden Files RP OOC
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next